There are many strategies a private foundation can employ to reduce its tax liability and preserve the value of its endowments. This white paper provides an overview of several strategies you may want to further explore.
1. Donate qualified appreciated stock to the foundation.
2. Step up your cost basis in capital assets.
3. Reduce your excise tax rate.
4. Maximize your personal charitable deductions
5. Preserve your endowment with Program-Related Investments.
6. Consider the potential liquidity dilemma posed by certain investments.
7. Eliminate capital gain with in-kind donations.