Although our clients come from many different backgrounds and perspectives, they share a common belief in the transformative power of intelligent giving.
In their efforts to drive change, we have observed that our clients typically adopt one of five approaches:
1. Checkbook philanthropists provide critical unrestricted support for nonprofits.
2. Responsive funders solicit proposals in their areas of interest.
3. Venture philanthropists strengthen nonprofits for scale-up and sustainability.
4. Entrepreneurial philanthropists focus on solving problems over supporting nonprofits.
5. Collective impact funders partner with others to reduce redundancy, share knowledge, and increase impact.
This booklet examines these five approaches, as well as their respective advantages and disadvantages. Is one approach to giving better than another? We think not. Each can be “strategic” depending on your aims. Ultimately, the success or failure of each approach depends on whether it’s the right fit for you.
- Foundation StrategyGrantmakingFoundation MemberFoundation Source ClientIndividual DonorPhilanthropic Advisor
Knowledge is Power
Get new educational content and research to amplify your giving.SUBSCRIBE TO BLOG